Today Very Special day for the Christians – Pentecost Sunday
On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
So when they met together, they asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Pentecost Then and Today
- Pentecost Sunday marks the day when the Holy Spirit descended upon the believers.
- Pentecost Sunday occurs 50 days after Jesus’ resurrection.
- Pentecost is also known as “the birthday of the Church”.
- Pentecost fulfills Jesus’ promise to send the “Counselor” and “Spirit of Truth” in John 16-5-15.
- Pentecost launches the large-scale spreading of the Gospel after Jesus’ ascension. Acts 2:41 records that after Peter spoke to the crowd after receiving the Holy Spirit, some 3,000 people were baptized
- The Pentecostal movement derives its name from the New Testament event in Acts 2.
- Jews also celebrate Pentecost,. The celebration by Jews of Pentecost is to observe God giving the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai 50 days after the Exodus.
Results of Pentecost
The greatest event outside of the resurrection of Christ
The release of the Holy Spirit
The birth of the Christian Church
The Holy Spirit empowers the church for ministry
The release of signs and wonders
The infilling of the Holy Spirit is to transform lives
The Release of Breakthrough
The key to Victory (Breakthrough) for the Christian is
“Be filled with the Spirit”
The essential to all the Lord has in every area of our lives
Receiving the Holy Spirit
When we accept Jesus we receive the Holy Spirit
There is a second experience with the Spirit in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Then there is a need to receive additional in fillings of the Holy Spirit (anointing)
- “Be Filled”
(present imperative active voice )
- present- at this time
- imperative –command
- active- on an ongoing basis
- “be filled now at this time and continue to be filled on an on going basis “
- “be continually being filled with the Spirit
Holy Spirit ???
The Holy Spirit is the bridge to God within you
The Holy Spirit is a real person who came to live within the Christian
The Holy Spirit is God at work—
- transforming us
- living within us
- working in us
The Holy Spirit does the ministry of God through our lives.
We believe the Word of God is Alive and Active
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
John 14:12-14 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Ephesians 5:18 Do not be overcome with wine (world’s ways), which leads to dissipation (directionless, unfulfillment). Instead, be filled with the Spirit
Benefits of being “Filled with the Spirit” (Overcoming Life)
- Faith levels rise
- Boldness in the Spirit (confidence)
- Living in peace / rest / joy
- Greater sensitivity to the Lord (led by the Spirit)
- Greater hunger for the Lord (intimacy, worship)
- Desire to be used (awareness of ministry)
- Selflessness (serving, concern for others , -Jesus’ heart)
- Word comes alive
- Gifts of the Holy Spirit operate